How to use walking cane if you got a limp? In this blog we will answer this question and will give you key points for using a walking stick.
How to use walking cane if you got a limp?
If you have symptoms felt around your hip and pelvis, it may lead to changes in the way you move. For many, this involves the development of a “limp”, often in response to pain, or due to stiffness or restricted movement. The result of a limp is that you place altered forces on the affected area as well as on other parts of the body, including on joints and muscles. And forces may change arouond your back, other hip or knees.
In order to minimise pain and avoid unintended negative effects of a “limp” you need to know how to use a walking stick. Using a walking stick temporarily allows you to move with more “natural” patterns, placing less unusual stress and strain on the body. And as symptoms improve with the use of the walking stick, you are able to do more and walk further.
And in this blog we want to share with you how to use a walking cane correctly.
How to use a walking cane correctly?
1. Your walking stick always goes in the hand on the opposite side to the painful hip (this is something so many people get wrong).
2. Standing with your arm by your side, the top of the handle of the walking stick should come to the same level as the crease of your wrist.
3. Ensure you measure the stick height with your normal shoes on (because shoe height can make quite a difference).
4. Check the rubber stopper at the bottom of the stick is new, with clear round anti-slip rings easily viewed
5. You can purchase an aid with a shaped handle for people who struggle with wrist or hand issues, for example rheumatoid arthritis. It is important that you don’t cause an injury in the arm you are using the stick in.
6. When you walk the opposite arm swings forward to put the stick down as the affected leg swings forward to hit the ground, that is, opposite arm and leg swing forward and back together.
Knowing how to use a walking stick can be beneficial in so many ways. Make sure you discuss this option with your doctor.
Introducing our exquisite Wooden Walking Stick Horse Designer Cane, a perfect accessory for both men and women who appreciate fine craftsmanship and elegant design. This hand-carved masterpiece is a fusion...
These distinctive walking canes are available in a wide range of sizes, designs, colors, and textures to offer something suitable for everyone’s unique sense of fashion. We specializes in high-grade...